[BangPypers] SWIG

bhaskar jain bhaskar.jain2002 at gmail.com
Mon Sep 14 20:34:01 CEST 2009

Hello,

  I have an external library which uses SWIG to generate bindings for many
languages like python, perl etc. So they have the  interface (.i files)
 present and also a 'binding' directory and separate dirs for diff
languages. So for 'Python', they have the wrapper functions (.c files) in
the bindings/python dir. So on installing this library, i can use the python
bindings.

Problem is that there was a bug and they have changed a few lines in one of
the C files. So my question is - will just applying the patch and installing
the library again, will i get a fresh good python binding or do i need to
regenerate the wrapper_ *.c files using SWIG.

Any tips in working with SWIG, using the python bindings will be
appreciated. Also is it a frequent problem of segmentation faults using the
python bindings of C programs which employ lot of pointers.
Sorry, I am new to SWIG.

Is it advisable to use SWIG at all?

Thanks.
--Bhaskar.