[BangPypers] [ilugb] Python at Schools

vid vid at svaksha.com
Sun Sep 27 04:56:00 CEST 2009

Hmm... this is cross-posted to many lists.

On Sun, Sep 27, 2009 at 08:14, Abhishek Mishra <ideamonk at gmail.com> wrote:

> I'm sure not many of the profs/teachers at my
> college would put efforts to try out Python.

Here is my experience after a few interactions : The school teachers
(i had met last year) were interested but the management does not
trust volunteers. Besides, each school has its own idea of how to
promote computer education in schools. Most of them force students to
buy text-books all teaching proprietary software :( Also the word
"computer education" preys on the parents desire --it is a
money-spinner in the name of 'making the student computer literate' --
parents are charged extra money per month as part of "computer
education", lab fees, etc... Students in grade1, grade2 were being
taught computers -- their notebooks had nice colored pictures of a
monitor, printer, laptop, with the teacher's red-ink ticked mark and
"good" sign for the color not going out of the lines. I kid you not.

One school principal lamented about Indians not writing their own
OS/compilers, etc.... when I politely suggested that he would set a
trend if he removed the pirated copies of a proprietary OS and
installed the Ubuntu CD that I gave him.

All this was about a year ago in Bangalore at the CBSE schools and one
government aided school. I doubt if things have drastically changed
for the better since.

IIRC, recently there was another effort to train the government teachers :
http://mailman.linuxchix.org/pipermail/indichix/2009-July/001674.html
--
vid
http://vid.svaksha.com ||