[BangPypers] Can we create proprietary database in Python

Jeff Rush jeff at taupro.com
Mon Sep 28 09:20:09 CEST 2009

Carl Karsten wrote:
> On Sun, Sep 27, 2009 at 11:46 PM, srid <sridhar.ratna at gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Sat, Sep 26, 2009 at 12:15 PM, Arun Python <arunpython at ymail.com> wrote:
>>> b) Can we create proprietary or sequential database like in C++
>>> in python for database applications which are not so huge.
>>> Sequential database in the sense, like creating a data structure
>>> in the class and getting data from the user and storing it as a file.
>> sqlalchemy + sqlite may fit your use case. sqlalchemy provides this
>> "datastructure in the class" (class mappers) and sqlite stores your
>> database in a file (no servers). quick start:
>> http://www.rmunn.com/sqlalchemy-tutorial/tutorial.html
>
> sqlalchemy + sqlite is probably the right thing, but given the
> description I think it is worth mentioning pickle and shelve:

Another good one is yserial, also using SQLite:

   http://yserial.sourceforge.net/

"Serialization + persistance :: in a few lines of code, compress and
annotate Python objects into SQLite; then later retrieve them
module for a database to store schema-less data.

The module is instructive in the way it unifies the standard
batteries: sqlite3 (as of Python v2.5), zlib (for compression), and
cPickle (for serializing objects).

If your Python program requires data persistance, then y-serial is a
module which should be worth importing. All objects are warehoused in
a single database file in the most compressed form possible. Tables
are used to differentiate projects. Steps for insertion, organization
by annotation, and finally retrieval are amazingly simple..."

-Jeff