[BangPypers] Wall street may embrace Python

Sirtaj Singh Kang sirtaj at sirtaj.net
Mon Apr 26 14:16:27 CEST 2010

On 26-Apr-10, at 5:30 PM, Dhananjay Nene wrote:
[snip]
> Taj, the main issue isn't whether standardisation necessary for DSLs
> is
> feasible - but the sheer amount of effort, time, political
> bickerings, and
> heat that accompanies it. If one uses python we save that entire
> diversion
> which if carried to its natural conclusion would be useful, but is
> just too
> expensive to carry to its natural conclusion.

Oh I agree completely; as I wrote in my first response to this thread,
this is a pragmatic solution that goes part of the way to the ideal. A
halfway solution that actually gets used is better than a perfect one
that never leaves the standards body. A similar situation that I was
discussing recently is the credit card secure code solution that was
adopted surprisingly smoothly - it's not a great solution but the
ideal mechanism would have never been adopted.

Still, it helps to be prepared for the eventuality of folks wanting
more than these waterfall programs for exchange of financial
contracts. When it happens, the prepared people are going to be ahead,
like all the folks who patiently waited all this time for their
favourite FP languages to become relevant. ;)

-Taj.