[BangPypers] refactoring

Sirtaj Singh Kang sirtaj at sirtaj.net
Mon Dec 6 09:01:52 CET 2010

On 12/6/2010 11:25 AM, Sriram Narayanan wrote:
> I sure hope that we don't dismiss the reading of such books just
> because "every experienced programmer knows about refactoring".

I apologize if I gave that impression. I think books like these provide
programmers with a head start on techniques and tools that they would
otherwise have to spend years gathering from hands-on experience,
usually from working with more experienced programmers.

My point was that it is important to keep an open mind, to be able to
recognize when they are being applied by people who may not share the
same lexicon. The shared terms are important, but they are rarely as
ubiquitous as, say, "cantilever" would be amongst civil engineers. This
is a different problem.

-Taj.