[BangPypers] Regarding Python popularity

Srinivas Reddy Thatiparthy srinivas_thatiparthy at akebonosoft.com
Mon Feb 8 11:37:19 CET 2010

>>The fact that Python is open source is orthogonal to the fact that it
compiles source into bytecode which can be decompiled. Also "Python"
>>can't be open source. "Python" is a programming language. A concrete
implementation (eg. CPython) can be open source.
>>By your logic, "C" is opensource (in it's gcc incarnation) and
therefore should also suffer from the reverse engineering problem you're
raising.

Oops!! Didn't have brains to think of gcc when my friend said it. :).My
bad.
Thanks for pointing out the difference between a 'language'   and
'Implementation'.

>>This is subjective. I personally think it's mainly marketing (Java had
Sun and C# had MS). This leads to secondary effects like certifications
(which are useful for >>>non-tech hiring managers to evaluate potential
employees), availability of 'resources' (since most engineering grads
jump onto the now popular language in the >>>>hope of getting a job)
Ok.My Question is..
What was   PSF's  in general, Guido's  in particular thoughts about
marketing  python?
And I heard Perl's marketing  was excellent.How did  they  manage it
with limited funds?