[BangPypers] Regarding Python popularity

Noufal Ibrahim noufal at gmail.com
Mon Feb 8 12:17:01 CET 2010

On Mon, Feb 8, 2010 at 4:25 PM, Srinivas Reddy Thatiparthy
<srinivas_thatiparthy at akebonosoft.com> wrote:
[..]
> I never searched for it .But in what domains  Python is excellent
> compared to other OOP languages?

Glue apps.
It seems to have a foothold in web programming
Prototyping/Rapid development

I haven't seen a domain in which Python is an undisputed master (eg.
Perl for messy string parsing). It's quite general purpose.

> I know that for AI ,you need to write code in LISP.

You don't *need* to write code in lisp for AI. Lisp excels at symbol
manipulation which was once thought of as an important feature of an
intelligent system. That's why the link (also McCarthy) but there's no
*need*. I write lisp code to customise my editor and I've written
simple AI programs in C and Python.

> If you write AI application in Java,then  you selected a bad tool for
> that particular  problem.

Not really. Java can do quite well there too. The paradigm is
different and your effectiveness will vary.Also, "AI application" is
extremely vague.

 [..]
--
~noufal