[BangPypers] Regarding Python popularity

Arun Ravindran arunvr at gmail.com
Mon Feb 8 18:42:29 CET 2010

Hi,

> 1.The other day my friend was saying ;Since python is opensource ,so

many companies fear that their product's byte code

could be reverse engineered.To protect  their Intellectual Property

rights they stay away from python,

is it true?

If the company in question has great concerns abt intellectual property,
then they should consider developing it as a web-based application with most
of the functionality on the server side

Any executable can be decompiled, not just bytecodes. In fact, Java is quite
easy to reverse compile. But this has not stopped hundreds of enterprises
from adopting Java.

2.What hinders python from becoming  a popular OOP language,like a

Java,C#,C++?

is it just slowness of python or dynamic language or Marketing?

I would like to know .

I would like to turn this question around. What are the advantages of
popularity? The availability of skilled resources increases and the amount
of development/tools in python increases. The former is not always a good
thing. There are plenty of Java /.NET coderz out there, but its very hard to
sift through and find the good ones.

Today, if someone claims to be a python programmer and has a decent level of
expertise, I can almost guarantee that he is passionate about programming.
The reason being that he decided to swim against the current and learn a
relatively less mainstream language.

There is a reason why Haskellers use the phrase 'Avoid Success at All
Costs'. Success is great up to a point, but then it becomes a curse. See
Java for instance :)

Still I believe python is not a niche language. The community is big enough
to help out newbies and intermediate level programmers. There are lots of
great tools, libraries and frameworks. It's truly wonderful.

Regards,
Arun

On Mon, Feb 8, 2010 at 3:22 PM, Srinivas Reddy Thatiparthy <