[BangPypers] DreamPie - A new Interactive Python Shell

Jeffrey Jose jeffjosejeff at gmail.com
Mon Feb 22 20:08:51 CET 2010

I remember a while ago we were talking about python shells. I came across
this. http://dreampie.sourceforge.net/

Note: I havent given it a try. Just sharing it incase someone finds it
useful. Share with us your thoughts if you do.

>From the website
DreamPie is a Python shell which is designed to be reliable and fun.

   - DreamPie features a new concept for an interactive shell: the window is
   divided into the *history box*, which lets you view previous commands and
   their output, and the *code box*, where you write your code. This allows
   you to edit any amount of code, just like in your favorite editor, and
   execute it when it's ready. You can also copy code from anywhere, edit it
   and run it instantly.
   - The *Copy code only* command will copy the code you want to keep, so
   you can save it in a file. The code is already formatted nicely with a
   four-space indentation.
   - Features automatic completion of attributes and file names.
   - Automatically displays function arguments and documentation.
   - Keeps your recent results in the *result history*, for later user.
   - Can automatically fold long outputs, so you can concentrate on what's
   important.
   - Lets you save the history of the session as an HTML file, for future
   reference. You can then load the history file into DreamPie, and quickly
   redo previous commands.
   - Supports interactive plotting with
matplotlib<http://matplotlib.sourceforge.net/>
   .
   - Supports Python 2.5, Python 2.6, Jython 2.5, IronPython 2.6 and Python
   3.1.
   - Works on Windows and Linux.
   - Extremely fast and responsive.
   - Free software licensed under GPL version 3.

/jeff