[BangPypers] DreamPie - A new Interactive Python Shell

Umar Shah umar43 at gmail.com
Mon Feb 22 20:21:56 CET 2010

thanks for sharing jeff ,
these shells prove to be very useful during testing things out,

so far i was using bpyton directly available from the ubuntu
repository. Will try this one out as wll.

-umar

On Tue, Feb 23, 2010 at 12:38 AM, Jeffrey Jose <jeffjosejeff at gmail.com> wrote:
> I remember a while ago we were talking about python shells. I came across
> this. http://dreampie.sourceforge.net/
>
> Note: I havent given it a try. Just sharing it incase someone finds it
> useful. Share with us your thoughts if you do.
>
> >From the website
> DreamPie is a Python shell which is designed to be reliable and fun.
>
>   - DreamPie features a new concept for an interactive shell: the window is
>   divided into the *history box*, which lets you view previous commands and
>   their output, and the *code box*, where you write your code. This allows
>   you to edit any amount of code, just like in your favorite editor, and
>   execute it when it's ready. You can also copy code from anywhere, edit it
>   and run it instantly.
>   - The *Copy code only* command will copy the code you want to keep, so
>   you can save it in a file. The code is already formatted nicely with a
>   four-space indentation.
>   - Features automatic completion of attributes and file names.
>   - Automatically displays function arguments and documentation.
>   - Keeps your recent results in the *result history*, for later user.
>   - Can automatically fold long outputs, so you can concentrate on what's
>   important.
>   - Lets you save the history of the session as an HTML file, for future
>   reference. You can then load the history file into DreamPie, and quickly
>   redo previous commands.
>   - Supports interactive plotting with
> matplotlib<http://matplotlib.sourceforge.net/>
>   .
>   - Supports Python 2.5, Python 2.6, Jython 2.5, IronPython 2.6 and Python
>   3.1.
>   - Works on Windows and Linux.
>   - Extremely fast and responsive.
>   - Free software licensed under GPL version 3.
>

> /jeff

Charles de Gaulle  - "The better I get to know men, the more I find
myself loving dogs." -
http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/authors/c/charles_de_gaulle.html