[BangPypers] Regarding web framework in Python

Pradeep Gowda pradeep at btbytes.com
Thu Jun 3 15:00:27 CEST 2010

On Thu, Jun 3, 2010 at 3:57 AM, Gora Mohanty <gora at srijan.in> wrote:
> On Thu, 3 Jun 2010 13:15:12 +0530
> Jins Thomas <jinsthomas at gmail.com> wrote:
> [...]
>> Current requirement is like we are planning to build such an
>> application which should have
>>
>> 1.  (Web) client gui  which can connect to a database, run some
>> perl scripts at the back end, gives back the results in the gui
>> (results can be some tabular inputs, paragraphs, charts,
>> schematic diagrams etc.)
>
> I would definitely recommend Django over something like web.py.
> Django is quite easy to get into in terms of basics, and you
> can explore further features as needed. With web.py, I would
> suspect that you would eventually end up writing your own framework.
>
> If you want to run Perl scripts, you could consider looking at
> Catalyst, a Perl web framework (never used it myself, but have
> heard many good things about it).
>
>> 2. It should have some drag and drop facility and connect the
>> objects  to configure some rule sets, saveas options etc.
>
> Drag and drop should probably be a front-end task, say jQuery
> driven. Others can be done.
>
>> Basically there are some quite a bit debates happening whether it
>> should be a web gui, or a thick client (which connects to the
>> database).
>>
>> Would some body please advice when free on
>>
>> 1.  Whether web.py itself is the good option for building this
>> kind of framework.
>>
>> 2 . How easy would it be to  build such an application in python
>> (Currently i should rate my python skills to be almost beginner
>> level)
>>
>> 3.  I was looking for some frameworks like vaadin in a python,
>> does anybody knows about such a framework.
>
> Not sure what vaadin is, but as mentioned above, I would go with
> Django.
>
>> 4. For all this frameworks, we need apache like webserver right.
>> I found web.py's independent sample webserver, Is it advisable to
>> use such a webserver to avoid other third party installations.
>
> You can run Django through Apache, or other web servers.
>
>> 5. What's your opinion on Web client vs Thick client for such an
>> application. If it's thick client, architects here  are forcing
>> to use TCL/Tk to build. But my feel is it's lacking look and feel.
> [...]
>
> Ack! Tcl/Tk in this day and age?

Django is a framework, web.py is a library.

The OP is a beginner and he is not sure what exactly his final
solution will look like.
So, it is better to start with a library and add features as you go.

With django, you get a bunch of design decisions made for you, which
may or may not
suite your requirements.

Django is not a panacea for every web development project.

Vaadin is a RIA framework much like GWT. Google would have told you that.