[BangPypers] ReadError: opening tar file

Anand Balachandran Pillai abpillai at gmail.com
Fri Jun 4 12:55:36 CEST 2010

On Fri, Jun 4, 2010 at 4:15 PM, murugadoss <murugadoss2884 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Thank for the reply.
> The tar file is not corrupted, i am using the same file in 32-bit m/c and
> able to extract it. I have attached this output also with the mail.
> I am getting this problem only in 64-bit m/c.

 And what is this whole exercise aimed at ? Why are you
 trying to open a tar file using Python first in a 32-bit and then
 on a 64-bit machine ? Can we have some background ? Otherwise
 this looks like a pretty weird exercise to me.

 Tar files are platform agnostic. Otherwise, you would
 have a nightmare opening tar files downloaded from the internet.
 A tar file created in 32 bit Linux should open in 64 bit Linux
 and vice-verza.

 Most probably the file got corrupted when you copied (or
 downloaded ?) it to the 32 bit machine. Try this on ur
 machines - they should print the same value.

 >>> import binascii
>>> data = open(tar, 'rb').read()
>>> binascii.crc32(data)

Also, try an md5 checksum.