[BangPypers] Indian Python Software Society

Anand Balachandran Pillai abpillai at gmail.com
Sun Jun 20 19:45:18 CEST 2010

On Sun, Jun 20, 2010 at 11:03 PM, s|s <supr.e.etsethi at gmail.com> wrote:

> Python only forms part of rubrik of technology stack that everyone of
> us uses. Linux, Windows, S60, MacOSX mostly form the underlying
> operating system. Bunch of libraries form another bit important piece.
> C/Java/.net form another piece of the puzzle by providing module
> interfaces. There are frameworks and interfaces. All these things do
> not exist in isolated forms. They are in constant flux. Sometimes even
> competing languages like ruby become critical to solutions being
> built. In this context, "only python" initiative presents an unclear
> if not inappropriate picture to students. Pushing them to think of
> technology for technologies sake instead of technology for finding
> solutions. This will only happen if other pieces also become part of
> knowledge base being imparted to the someone willing to learn.

 What else do you expect a society whose name is "Indian Python
 Software Society" to promote apart from Python ? When we say
 Python, we mean all aspects of Python, not just the core Python
 language. It involves the entire ecosystem around Python including
 libraries, third party modules, extensions, alternate implementations
 (such as IronPython, PyPy etc), packaging etc etc.

 However it clearly does not involve something which happens to
 be open "like" Python but is not Python - like Ruby for example.
 There are ruby interest groups for doing that. It does not make
 sense for a Python interest society to try and do something more
 than its mandate of spreading interest and awareness and sharing
 knowledge about Python. In fact, that itself is quite a challenge
 to do, so we are not planning to set lofty goals such as the ones
 you are mentioning here.

 We do Python and we are Python.

> --
> Supreet Sethi