[BangPypers] designing programs

Noufal Ibrahim noufal at gmail.com
Sat Jun 26 17:40:18 CEST 2010

On Sat, Jun 26, 2010 at 9:02 PM, shameek ghosh <shameek09 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Well...Although I have not done this much,  but I believe a modelling tool
> like UML helps when you show your design to somebody else and secondly there
> might be cases where UML like modelling tools may also be converted to some
> specific code.

I generally tend to distrust code that is 'generated' unless it's for
a very clear, simple, and well defined task (like a state machine,
parser or GUI front end).

Using UML as a "standard way" of conveying your designs sounds
sensible although I feel that it's more restrictive than pen and
paper.

> I do believe the second point is an important reason why domain specific
> modelling tools are very important that can generate platform specific
> code.Something like UML to C++ might be available.I am not certain though.

I worry about maintainability and bitrot in the long run when code is
generated in this fashion.

--
~noufal
http://nibrahim.net.in