[BangPypers] Simple python database library

steve steve at lonetwin.net
Wed Mar 3 14:21:56 CET 2010

Hi,
On 03/03/2010 04:36 PM, Dhananjay Nene wrote:
> Looking for a simple opensource python database library
>
> Objectives :
> - Should work at a level of abstraction above DB-Api. I should not have to
> change code generally except for changing database configuration
> parameters.
> - Should be able to write code independent of the database (except where the
> SQL itself was to be different in which case thats beyond the library's
> control)
> - Should support most reasonably popular databases (I am looking primarily
> for MySQL but at least Postgres, SQL Server and Oracle support will be
> useful)

All of that is available in popular ORMs. I prefer SQLObject to SQLAlchemy.
Could you elaborate a bit on why an ORM would not be suitable ?

> - Abstractions should be at a relational level. Thus any ORMs are out of
> scope.

ehe .. ORM == Object /Relational/ Mapper. What do you mean by "Abstractions
should be at a relational level" ?

> I have found ADODb for Python so far. Looking for additional
> recommendations.

anydbm ? ( http://docs.python.org/library/anydbm.html ), of course that though
is not relational.

A quick google OTOH gives me this:

http://wiki.python.org/moin/DbApiModuleComparison

Also, the little that i read online, I see that at least in theory all python
DBI should follow: http://www.python.org/dev/peps/pep-0249/

...which if is also true in practice takes care of concerns you might have about
cross DB API.

cheers,
- steve

--