[BangPypers] Simple python database library

Noufal Ibrahim noufal at gmail.com
Fri Mar 5 11:28:13 CET 2010

On Fri, Mar 5, 2010 at 3:37 PM, Kenneth Gonsalves <lawgon at au-kbc.org> wrote:
> On Friday 05 Mar 2010 3:22:12 pm Dhananjay Nene wrote:
>> > I might add that I've worked with ORMs almost regularly since 1996 in
>> > C++,
>>
>> Java and Python. SQLAlchemy has probably been the most successful ORM I
>>  have seen which has managed to retain the balance between relational and
>>  object paradigms (almost everyone else completely throws in the towel
>>  towards providing an object API around database access).
>>

> what about django's orm?

I don't expect that it will hold a candle to SQLAlchemy
 No composite primary key support -
http://code.djangoproject.com/ticket/373 is the first thing that comes
to mind (and one of SQLAlchemy's killer features).
 I don't think it follows a data mapper pattern.
 I'm not sure how much reflection it can do.
 Also, it's 'part' of a larger project so manpower will be limited as
opposed to SQLAlchemy.

I believe there are projects that are trying to stitch in SQLAlchemy
into Django but I haven't really used the framework so I'm not sure.

--
~noufal
http://nibrahim.net.in