[BangPypers] Feb user group meeting

Noufal Ibrahim noufal at gmail.com
Wed Mar 10 21:48:02 CET 2010

On Fri, Mar 5, 2010 at 8:01 AM, Baiju M <mbaiju at zeomega.com> wrote:
[..]
>> After that, we're open, anyone with ideas on stuff to speak about? I
>> spent the sprint days with the packaging people (Tarek and company) so
>> I have some idea on what's going on there. I could speak on that. The
>> state of packaging in Python is a bit of  mess and it needs help.
>
> I would like to hear about that.
>[..]
Attached is the outline I used when talking about the packaging in Python.

                         Packaging in Python
                         ===================

Author: Noufal Ibrahim <noufal at nibrahim.net.in>
Date: 2010-03-11 01:04:42 IST

Table of Contents
=================
1 Terms
    1.1 Top level libraries
    1.2 Tools
    1.3 Services
2 Problems with setuptools
3 Related tools
4 Reference materials
    4.1 http://guide.python-distribute.org
    4.2 Distutils docs
5 Upto date information
6 Helping out

1 Terms
========

1.1 Top level libraries
------------------------
    - Distutils         : Standard library simple stuff
    - Setuptools        : Massive improvements to setuptools by Philip Eby
    - Distribute        : Fork of Setuptools by Tarek
    - Distutils2        : Nextgen distutils + setuptools for standard
library (Python 3.3)

1.2 Tools
----------
    - easy_install      : Installer which is part of setuptools (PJE)
    - pip               : Next gen installer which will be part of
distutils2 (Ian Bicking)

1.3 Services
-------------
    - PyPI              : CPAN for Python (Richard Jones[web] + Andrew
Kuchling[metadata])

2 Problems with setuptools
===========================
   - Semi unmaintained.
   - No fast enough releases.
   - No Python 3 support

3 Related tools
================
   - Virtualenv
     - For private pools of packages which can be used for a projects
     - Ian Bicking's hack
   - Buildout
     - More heavy duty for complete isolated, repeatable installations
     - Extensible using recipes

4 Reference materials
======================

4.1 [http://guide.python-distribute.org]