[BangPypers] Any compiled all PEP's into pdf

Anand Balachandran Pillai abpillai at gmail.com
Thu May 27 14:02:13 CEST 2010

On Thu, May 27, 2010 at 4:55 PM, Anand Balachandran Pillai <
abpillai at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Thu, May 27, 2010 at 4:30 PM, Srinivas Reddy Thatiparthy <
> srinivas_thatiparthy at akebonosoft.com> wrote:
>
>> Hi list,
>>
>> Does anyone compiled all PEP's into a PDF document or chm file.I searched
>> the internet but didn't get it.If you guys  found pdf/chm file, please send
>> the link.
>>

> Why do you need all PEPs compiled into PDF anyway ?
> If you really need one, I suggest writing a simple script that
> searches the PEP index, downloads the PEP text files and uses
> pytext2pdf to convert it to PDFs.
>
> If you want a single PDF, concat the peps together and call pytext2pdf
> on it.
>
> pytext2pdf can be obtained from
> http://code.activestate.com/recipes/532908-text-to-pdf-converter-rewrite/
> (yeah, I wrote it, so this is a bit of self-trumpeting!)
>
> The PEP index is here.
>
> http://www.python.org/dev/peps/
> Crawl it using some crawler or Firefox (downthemall) and you
> can do this. With HarvestMan, the whole thing can be automated
> with 15 mins of programming.

This felt like a fun thing to do so I actually did it but not from
the PEPS index since it didn't give me text files but HTML files.
Thankfully the PEPS are available in text format from
http://svn.python.org/projects/peps/trunk/, so I just checked out
the text files and using some quick work ran text2pdf on
a single text file which I created by concatenating all PEP
files into a single text file in sorted order.

I have uploaded this to
http://harvestmanontheweb.com/python/peps_all.pdf.

Total time taken for me: 15 mins

Enjoy.