[BangPypers] Python 2.3.4 and IPV6 compliance

Senthil Kumaran orsenthil at gmail.com
Mon Nov 22 12:10:02 CET 2010

On Mon, Nov 22, 2010 at 04:15:26PM +0530, souri datta wrote:
>  I would like to know whether the packages urllib and urllib2 are
>  ipv6 compliant or not?

Python 2.3.4 supports IPv6. By that, I mean, socket module will
recognize and talk to a IPv6 address.

But if you want to anything at the higher level like parsing a IPv6
URL, it is added only the much later versions of Python - 2.6 release.

> >From this link http://bugs.python.org/issue1675455 , it is not very clear.

This is an open bug. What this indicates is, IPv6 access on local
files and ftp access via IPv6 would fail. If you are going to do HTTP,
this bug should not affect you.

--
Senthil