[BangPypers] cgi help

Senthil Kumaran orsenthil at gmail.com
Wed Oct 6 14:23:43 CEST 2010

On Wed, Oct 06, 2010 at 04:57:15PM +0530, Noufal Ibrahim wrote:

> things when they start which can significantly affect performance
> (searching module include paths is one example).

CGI scripts have be to executed by an interpreter process.  And CGI
handling webserver modules, like mod_python/mod_perl invoke an
interpreter instance as process for handling each request.

The blurb from the Wikpedia did mention about what I was trying to say
as heavy weight operation.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Common_Gateway_Interface#Drawbacks

And better way in Python at the moment is WSGI.

The perl vs python comparison on shell is interesting and could be due
to variety of reasons, but I am not sure if this performance
comparison is conclusive for using perl on webserver instead of
python. I have not come across this argument earlier. If it is
something which people consider, it would be interesting to know.

Perl+CGI has been there and is quite mature, that could be a probable
argument.

--
Senthil