[BangPypers] When *not* to use Python

Noufal Ibrahim noufal at gmail.com
Wed Oct 20 13:27:52 CEST 2010

The project management thread highlighted this issue of "if it's not in
Python, I don't want to use it".

Assuming that most of the people here are mostly python enthusiasts or
learners, I'm wondering when you would *not* use Python. Let's not
conflate this with Open Source/Closed Source etc.

I'm just interested in situations where you'd stay away from something
*just* because it isn't in Python. The only reason I'd stay away from
something like this is if I needed to work on it's code and it was in a
language that I wasn't familiar with and didn't have the time to learn.

Also, there are plently of situations where I'd jump to a language other
than Python at the outset (e.g. for log file parsing, Perl still wins
for me).

Comments?

--
~noufal