[BangPypers] When *not* to use Python

Kenneth Gonsalves lawgon at au-kbc.org
Wed Oct 20 13:54:41 CEST 2010

On Wed, 2010-10-20 at 16:57 +0530, Noufal Ibrahim wrote:
> I'm just interested in situations where you'd stay away from something
> *just* because it isn't in Python. The only reason I'd stay away from
> something like this is if I needed to work on it's code and it was in
> language that I wasn't familiar with and didn't have the time to
> learn.

that is why I normally stay away from non-python stuff. My criterion is
simple: if I am going to just use it, I am not bothered about the
language. For example josm for openstreetmap is in java - if it had been
in python I could have customised it for indian languages - but it was
impossible for me to do it in java. But I can live with it (I simply
write the names in tamil in kwrite or something and paste it into the
josm interface). In the current scenario, I will have to do a fair
amount of customisation, and am certainly not going to sit and learn
ruby or whatever for it.
--
regards
Kenneth Gonsalves