[BangPypers] When *not* to use Python

Anand Balachandran Pillai abpillai at gmail.com
Wed Oct 20 13:56:33 CEST 2010

On Wed, Oct 20, 2010 at 4:57 PM, Noufal Ibrahim <noufal at gmail.com> wrote:

> The project management thread highlighted this issue of "if it's not in
> Python, I don't want to use it".
>
> Assuming that most of the people here are mostly python enthusiasts or
> learners, I'm wondering when you would *not* use Python. Let's not
> conflate this with Open Source/Closed Source etc.
>
> I'm just interested in situations where you'd stay away from something
> *just* because it isn't in Python. The only reason I'd stay away from
> something like this is if I needed to work on it's code and it was in a
> language that I wasn't familiar with and didn't have the time to learn.
>
> Also, there are plently of situations where I'd jump to a language other
> than Python at the outset (e.g. for log file parsing, Perl still wins
> for me).

 Maybe for "rough" n "dirty" use-once-and-throw parsers, but if you
want to write reusable parser classes, Python can do an amazing
job at it. You should be pretty good at using the "re" module and
if possible have experience writing custom parsers and preferably
burnt your fingers trying to understand the "HTMLParser" module :)

I spent like 2 months in HP developing a log file "reverse" parser
application for finding out software install times from the log files.
All code in Python. I guess (and hope) they still use it there :)

> Comments?
>

> --
> ~noufal
> http://nibrahim.net.in