[BangPypers] When *not* to use Python

steve steve at lonetwin.net
Wed Oct 20 15:03:48 CEST 2010

Hi,

On 10/20/2010 05:34 PM, Santosh Rajan wrote:
> I have a slightly tangential take on this subject. I do web development and
> it is entirely python nowadays. Having said that let me quote Eric Raymond.
> *"Lisp is worth learning for the profound enlightenment experience you will
> have when you finally get it; that experience will make you a better
> programmer for the rest of your days, even if you never actually use Lisp
> itself a lot."*
>
> I have learned and use Clojure a dialect of Lisp for some odd jobs just for
> this reason.

I've had this on my todo list for sometime but then I read ..

http://sayspy.blogspot.com/2010/10/my-thoughts-on-clojure.html

...which made me re-think whether it was worth the effort (I already know a
smattering of scheme but not well enough to consider it for anything resembling
serious work).

Just curious, what do you (or anyone who has bothered learning clojure) think
about that ?

cheers,
- steve

--