[BangPypers] virtual-python & easy_install doubt

Pratap Chakravarthy prataprc at gmail.com
Wed Dec 7 08:20:07 CET 2011

Can you try virtualenv ? You can download the virtualenv package and
use `virtualenv` command like,

> virtualenv --no-site-packages pluggd-env

Of course you can replace `pluggd-env` with directory name that should
contain your virtual python environment.

After setting up the virtual environment, you can activate the virtual
environment for you shell like,

> source pluggd-env/bin/activate

On Wed, Dec 7, 2011 at 12:18 PM, Ashutosh Narayan
<aashutoshnarayan at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am facing some issues w.r.t easy_install when I want to use
> virtual-python environment.
> I followed below mentioned link to set up virtual-python :
>
> http://peak.telecommunity.com/DevCenter/EasyInstall#creating-a-virtual-python
>
> OS: SuSE Linux Enterprise Desktop
> Python version: 2.6
>
> I edited PYTHONPATH to something like this :
>
> *>cat /etc/bash.bashrc.local *
>
> export PYTHONPATH=.:/home/ashutoshn/lib/:$PYTHONPATH
> export PATH=.:~/bin:/opt/local/bin:$PATH
>
> Then I install setuptools by executing :
>
> *> sh setuptools-0.6c11-py2.6.egg -d /home/ashutoshn/lib/*
>
> The system now uses easy_install of the virtual-python environment.
>
> *> which easy_install*
>
> /home/ashutoshn/lib/easy_install
>
> *>easy_install Pygments* *-d /home/ashutoshn/lib/python2.6/site-packages/*
>
> I get the following error message :
>
> *error: can't create or remove files in install directory
>
> The following error occurred while trying to add or remove files in the
> installation directory:
>
>    [Errno 2] No such file or directory:
> '/usr/local/lib/python2.6/site-packages/test-easy-install-27311.pth'
>
> The installation directory you specified (via --install-dir, --prefix, or
> the distutils default setting) was:
>
>    /usr/local/lib/python2.6/site-packages/
>
> This directory does not currently exist.  Please create it and try again, or
> choose a different installation directory (using the -d or --install-dir
> option)*.
>
> So, how does Python keep track of what directories are / are not enabled
> for *.pth* processing ?
>
> easy_install doesn't seem to work for me. Any suggestions / inputs ?
>

> Thank you,
> --
> Ashutosh Narayan
>
> http://ashutoshn.wordpress.com