[BangPypers] how to uninstall a package installed using easy_install

Noufal Ibrahim noufal at gmail.com
Thu Feb 3 10:20:26 CET 2011

On Thu, Feb 03 2011, Kenneth Gonsalves wrote:

> hi,
>
> I installed hg-git using easy_install. Now hg is b0rked. What is the
> best way of uninstalling hg-git - I do not see any uninstall option in
> easy_install.

The only way is to to use easy_install -m to remove the entry from the
.pth file and then manually delete the package. The details are here
http://peak.telecommunity.com/DevCenter/EasyInstall?action=highlight&value=uninstall#uninstalling-packages

However, you shouldn't be using easy_install at all. pip[1] has all but
superseded it. It has an uninstall command and does most things more
sanely than does easy_install.

Footnotes:
[1]  http://pypi.python.org/pypi/pip