[BangPypers] NoSQL

Dhananjay Nene dhananjay.nene at gmail.com
Sun Feb 13 16:54:35 CET 2011

This is not in response to any specific comment as opposed to an addition to
the overall thread, and just a quick formatting of some of my findings on
the matter.

a. Understanding of CAP theorem
http://www.julianbrowne.com/article/viewer/brewers-cap-theorem and its
relevance in the specific set of use cases in consideration is extremely
important before wading into the noSQL land. One needs to decide whether one
wants to build a CA, AP or CP system. Note that it is rather easy to get
confused between the implications of A and P - so spend some time on that.

b. The candidate databases once the constraints are decided becomes visible
http://blog.nahurst.com/visual-guide-to-nosql-systems . Now there exist a
number of differences within these databases. eg. Simple key value vs.
document, relational vs. schemaless, disk based vs. in memory, etc. etc.

There are at least two applications where I actively approached the problem
space with an intent to use noSQL database but concluded that it simply was
not possible given the fact that the expectations were indeed CA. Recently I
was able to explore using a noSQL since I decided the usecase required an AP
set of requirements.

Dhananjay