[BangPypers] indentation problems

Vishal vsapre80 at gmail.com
Thu Feb 24 10:23:19 CET 2011

On Thu, Feb 24, 2011 at 1:37 PM, Senthil Kumaran <orsenthil at gmail.com>wrote:

> On Thu, Feb 24, 2011 at 12:51:44PM +0530, Kenneth Gonsalves wrote:
> > I have a problem - whenever I load the code written by a particular team
> > member indentation in many places vanishes. I have a feeling this has
> > something to do with tabs and spaces - anyone faced this problem?
>
> Yes, I have and many people would have too.
>
> Within team, I have encouraged the team members to use modeline
> in their editors (if they use an editor which supports modeline
> feature). Having a pre-commit hook in svn is a another idea to avoid
> this problem.
>
> But I guess, one has to encourage that 'no tabs' policy and your own
> tabs-to-space flavor and it sticks on with ease.
>
> # vim: tabstop=4 expandtab shiftwidth=4 softtabstop=4
>
> --
> Senthil

I agree with Senthil here. The 'no-tabs' policy is the best. Basically,
almost all 'good' editors let users specify 'spaces for tabs' in their
customization options. Just make sure everyone uses them.
and you can use the tabnanny module to find out who is not using it :))

--
Thanks and best regards,
Vishal Sapre