[BangPypers] Distributing a python project as a binary.

Noufal Ibrahim noufal at gmail.com
Sun Jan 9 05:30:25 CET 2011

On Sat, Jan 08 2011, kunal wrote:

[...]

> Hmm , interesting , licenses are good as a legal protection.
> But once your software is "cracked" the time limitation etc removed,
> and its available online . No one ( the vast majority of home users )
> is going to buy that software right ?
>
> Illegitimate copies of Windows , Photoshop etc.
>
> But that's not what i want to discuss right now.
>
> I think ,Py2exe PyApp and python eggs , address my initial question ,
> at the moment.

[...]

If your intention is to prevent people from reading your source code,
you might want to consider obfuscation (instead of compilation).
http://www.lysator.liu.se/~astrand/projects/pyobfuscate/ (although it is outdated)

And here's a general discussion on the topic.
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/261638/how-do-i-protect-python-code