[BangPypers] Python 1.5.2 Application (compiled on PA-RISC) crashes on Itanium

Vishal vsapre80 at gmail.com
Wed Jan 12 09:56:48 CET 2011

Hi,

>From the stack trace, it seems your conjecture 1 is True.
So this is most probably happening because of subtle differences between
PA-RISC and Itanium. Itanium was built to be able to execute almost
everything that PA-RISC can.
However as per the following page below:
http://hpux.connect.org.uk/hppd/answers/5-3.html
you must use "-x allow_incompatible=true" option when you swinstall a
PA-RISC application on compatible Itanium platform. Note 'compatible'.
Have you done that when installing the older python1.5.2 binary on Itanium
systems.

I just did a google search to get this far. Have never worked on PA-RISC or
Itanium, only knew superficially about Itanium because I worked for Intel
till recently.
For more details you would have to wait from some
more knowledgeable answers.

take care,
Vishal

On Wed, Jan 12, 2011 at 2:00 PM, Wah Meng Wong <wah_meng at yahoo.com> wrote:

> Hi  guys,
>
> I have a  python application running on HP-UX B.11.23 U itanium 64 bit. My
> applicaiton crashes  from time to time and I have not been able to trace
> what
> the rootcause as for  each crashes, different commands were executed. If I
> run
> my application from a  command window, here is the stack trace that it
> leaves
> behind, and a coredump  file is generated.
>
>  tx30ap01 @  /3rd_party/genesis/genadm/genesis/Product/MaterialMgr OHT$
> python
> MatlMgr.py MaterialMgr debug MatlMgr_Query 63656 &
> [1] 7975
> tx30ap01 @  /3rd_party/genesis/genadm/genesis/Product/MaterialMgr OHT$ [HP
> ARIES32]: Core  file for 32 bit PA-RISC application
> [HP ARIES32]:  /3rd_party/genesis/8.3/Enablers/Python/bin/python saved to
> /3rd_party/genesis/8.3/Product/MaterialMgr/core.python.
>
> I have following  questions:-
> 1.) Could  this berelated to the incompatibility of python binary  (python
> version 1.5.2 compiled for PA-RISC processor on an older version of  HP-UX,
> back
> in year 2000) and HP-UX Itanium 64-bit platform?
> 2.) Any known issues  of incompatibility of python 1.5.2 compiled on
> PA-RISC to
> run on Itanium 64-bit  processor and OS?
> 3.) Anyway the  core.python file can be inspected (to find out the
> rootcause) if
> I did not  run my application with the debugger version of python?
>
> 4.) What python  version is recommended and stable enough to be used on
> HP-UX
> Itanium platform if  I were to perform a python compilation and upgrade to
> higher  version?
>
> Thanks in advance  for any reply!
>
> Regards,
> Wah  Meng

Thanks and best regards,
Vishal Sapre

---
"So say...Day by day, in every way, I am getting better, better and better
!!!"
"A Strong and Positive attitude creates more miracles than anything else.
Because...Life is 10% how you make it, and 90% how you take it"
"Diamond is another piece of coal that did well under pressure”
"May we do good and not evil. May we find forgiveness for ourself and
forgive others. May we share freely, never taking more than we give."