[BangPypers] Python 1.5.2 Application (compiled on PA-RISC)

Wah Meng Wong wah_meng at yahoo.com
Fri Jan 14 09:04:40 CET 2011

Hi  Noufal,
Thanks for your reply!

> That would be my first guess (especially since it's the binary
> crashing). Is it not an option to get the sources and try to recompile
> it for ia64 HP-UX?

Yes it is an option however I am not familiar with the rebuild process so this
is my last resort. Looks like I have no choice but to rebuild. Can I ping you if
I encounter any issue? (I haven't been doing this for 10 years)

> It's possible but I don't think you'd get much out of a non-debug
> build of your binary.

Yes however I don't have a copy of the debug build of python.

> I'd try the latest 2.x (2.7something right now) series. It will have bug
> fixes which 1.xb doesn't have.

Yes I will go for the python 2.5.2 as I found the source code on HP's website.
Will be doing that for HP-UX 11.31, Itanium platform.

Hello Vishal,

Thanks for your reply!

> So this is most probably happening because of subtle differences between
> PA-RISC and Itanium. Itanium was built to be able to execute almost
> everything that PA-RISC can.
> However as per the following page below:
> http://hpux.connect.org.uk/hppd/answers/5-3.html
> you must use "-x allow_incompatible=true" option when you swinstall a
> PA-RISC application on compatible Itanium platform. Note 'compatible'.
> Have you done that when installing the older python1.5.2 binary on Itanium
> systems.

I did not use swinstall utility to install my python 1.5.2 binary that I
compiled on PA-RISC. I merely copy over the binary and setup the necessary
environment variables and PATH. I am not familiar with swinstall. What does this
swinstall do to my python binary files that I place onto the server? Will you
give some idea what this swinstall tool take as input?

Regards,
Wah Meng