[BangPypers] Python for mobile apps Deveopment

Neha Jain neha.hbti.it at gmail.com
Tue Jan 25 09:27:47 CET 2011

Hey,

I am not very conversant with the other mobile platforms, but maemo supports
python very nicely. One can develop apps in python on the N900 directly!
There are many apps written for the maemo platform in pyqt, these are
portable to android and iphone(may be with a bit of difficulty).
Qtdesigner is a very nice and useful app-designing ide. The code for apps
designed in qtdesigner may be generated using pyuic4 in python..The
following link might interest you-
http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=39879

Cheers,
njain.

On Tue, Jan 25, 2011 at 1:43 PM, Gora Mohanty <gora at mimirtech.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Jan 25, 2011 at 12:19 PM, ravi krishna <ravi.99ks at gmail.com>
> wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > I am new to this group and i am really looking for some help with Python
> in
> > mobile apps development. I have seen some applications in mobile phones
> > developed purely in Python. What are the requirements for doing it ? I am
> > relatively new to Python programming and trying to improve my Python
> > knowledge by creating some apps. For android and iphone , there is an SDK
> > for developing apps ? Do python has any such SDK for development ? Do i
> need
> > to install any modules for making it work in mobile phones. Any help will
> be
> > appreciated.
> [...]
>
> The SDKs are platform-dependent, and have varying degrees of support
> for features of the phone. Some that I am aware of:
> * There is a Python interpreter for the Symbian S60 project.
> * For Android, there is http://code.google.com/p/android-scripting/
> * No experience with Python on the iPhone, but people point to this:
>  http://www.saurik.com/id/5
>
> All in all, it is undesirable, IMHO, to program with Python on a
> mobile phone. Aside from generally unsatisfactory support, the
> Python interpreter adds an overhead.
>
> Regards,
> Gora

Smiles