[BangPypers] Iterating list of tuples

Anand Balachandran Pillai abpillai at gmail.com
Mon Jul 4 09:17:09 CEST 2011

On Mon, Jul 4, 2011 at 12:01 PM, Noufal Ibrahim <noufal at gmail.com> wrote:

> Asif Jamadar <asif.jamadar at rezayat.net> writes:
>
> > Suppose I have list of tuples
> >
> > data = [
> >     (10, 25, 18, 17, 10, 12, 26, 5),
> >     ]
> >
> > for value in data:
> >      if data[value]>5:
> >                 print " greater"
> >     else:
> >        print "lesser"
>

> if the list has just one tuple, you need to iterate over it's individual
> elements.
>
>        for i in data[0]: # Iterate over elements of the tuple
>             if i > 5:
>                 print "greater"
>             else:
>                print "lesser"
>
> `value` in your code does not mean the index, it's the actual element
> itself.

 This is the correct approach. If you don't like
 doing it like this, there is a 2nd approach where
 you can index inside the loop rather than "on" the
 loop

  >>> data=[(10,25, 18, 17, 10, 12, 26, 5)]
  >>> for value in zip(*data):
...     if (value[0] > 5): print 'Greater'
...     else: print 'Lesser'
Greater
Greater
Greater
Greater
Greater
Greater
Greater
Lesser

But then I might have confused you with that !

> [...]
>

> --
> ~noufal
> http://nibrahim.net.in