[BangPypers] [OT] language fanaticism

Kenneth Gonsalves lawgon at gmail.com
Wed Jul 13 01:21:41 CEST 2011

On Wed, 2011-07-13 at 05:28 +0800, Senthil Kumaran wrote:
> > The Ruby Speed Center (which is similar to speed.pypy.org) uses
> > codespeed which is a Python/Django based application[1].
>
> And yeah, not to miss that many python based projects have started
> using jenkins for CI which is Java based. :) Quite recently, my
> experience with (good) developers is that everyone is picking up a
> variety of languages and libraries for different tasks. The choice
> seem to be with things that stack up well. For e.g using solr for
> python webapps.

let us look at all points of view. In an ideal world, one chooses the
best tool for the job at hand. No quarrel. But the world is not ideal.
Compromises have to be made (or trade-offs). Given a task one has to
take into account deadlines, resources/skills available etc etc. Maybe
for a particular webapp Django is overkill - but do I have the time to
learn something more suitable (or the ability)?
--
regards
Kenneth Gonsalves