[BangPypers] parsing xml

Venkatraman S venkat83 at gmail.com
Fri Jul 29 08:24:01 CEST 2011

On Fri, Jul 29, 2011 at 11:31 AM, Noufal Ibrahim <noufal at gmail.com> wrote:

> > I am a speed-maniac and crave for speed; so if the assumption is
> > valid, i can vouch for the fact that regexp would be faster and neater
> > solution. I have done some speed experiments in past on this (results
> > of which i do not have handy), and i found this.
>
> Premature optimisation is the root of all evil.

I belong to a different school. I think about performance right from the
design dashboards for i think, be it a simple webapp or a financial
application, the choice of your design patterns and techstack goes a long
way in a good customer experience. Bulk of my thoughts are reflected in here
: http://www.codinghorror.com/blog/2011/06/performance-is-a-feature.html

I generally lay emphasis on 2 things when it comes to webapps : 1) Layout
and 2)Speed. I am ready to sacrifice certain features; if i think a certain
feature will cause some issues with customer experience(after all we are
developing apps for the customer and if he is made to wait for 5s for an
events, then its bad), i would rather not present it or present in some
'other' fashion(like a batched job?).