[BangPypers] WSGI app instrumentation - middleware or other

Anand Chitipothu anandology at gmail.com
Wed Jun 8 08:08:54 CEST 2011

2011/6/8 Sirtaj Singh Kang <sirtaj at sirtaj.net>:
> Hi all,
>
> I'd like to hear from python web devs on strategies for instrumenting
> production wsgi apps for perfomance and availability monitoring. Are there
> existing tools that you use? What sort of things do you monitor (db
> connection state, response time stats etc) and how intrusive are the
> instrumentation tools on the performance of the system itself?

Graphite + statsd/pystatsd is pretty good for performance tracking.

http://codeascraft.etsy.com/2011/02/15/measure-anything-measure-everything/

The app sends performance metrics as UDP packets to statsd and
collects stats and updates Graphite, the storage and rendering engine,
at regular intervals. Since the app is using UDP, it doesn't have to
wait for acknowledgement for packets send, adding very less overhead.

We use nagios for availability monitoring. There are many
alternatives, try asking google.

http://www.google.co.in/search?q=nagios+alternatives

Anand