[BangPypers] Uninstalling Python 2.6

Baishampayan Ghose b.ghose at gmail.com
Fri Jun 24 08:06:22 CEST 2011

> I want to remove Python 2.6 from my computer, or at least change the
> default python to 2.5. When I try to remove Python 2.6 through the
> package manager, it asks me if I want to remove about 200 other
> things, which I don't want to do. Things that only support Python 2.5
> (like vim.. etc) try to use python 2.6 instead of python 2.5 by
> default, which screws things up. How do I fix this?
>
> Note: I am trying with ubuntu-9.10(Karmic)

You won't be able to remove python-2.6 because of dependencies, but
you can install python-2.5 and make it the default by using the
`update-alternatives` command
(http://manpages.ubuntu.com/manpages/karmic/man8/update-alternatives.8.html).

It would be something like (after installing python-2.5) -

# update-alternatives --config python

Regards,
BG

--