[BangPypers] How to read barcoded value from the PDF

Gora Mohanty gora at mimirtech.com
Tue Jun 28 10:01:24 CEST 2011

On Tue, Jun 28, 2011 at 10:59 AM, Asif Jamadar <asif.jamadar at rezayat.net> wrote:
> Hi,
>

>  I have a PDF document which consist of barcode characters. Now how can I retrieve that bar-coded value programmatically. When I googled I found a tool called Pypdf which provides a function called 'PdfFileReader'
>
> To read the PDF file, but how can I read the barcode form the existing PDF. Any solution?

Not quite sure what you expect to extract here? The barcode is just
an image, so what exactly would you expect the output of this program
to be?

If you need to decode the barcode, there are a couple of open-source
packages to do that. One that I have used is libdmtx (
http://www.libdmtx.org/ ).
It is in C, though there seems to be a Python wrapper for it:
http://libdmtx.wikidot.com/libdmtx-python-wrapper

Regards,
Gora