[BangPypers] Proposed python module: simpleoauth

Navin Kabra navin.kabra at gmail.com
Thu Mar 10 04:44:34 CET 2011

Hi All,

Need your help on this.

After getting very confused and frustrated at the state of OAuth libraries
in python, I decided that there needs to be a simpler way of doing OAuth in
Python. As a proof-of-concept I've implemented the following:

https://github.com/ngkabra/simpleoauth

The design goals were:

   - Simple interface for the common cases, at the expense of flexibility
   - Should work with OAuth v1 or OAuth v2 with the same or similar
   interface
   - Should be easy to incorporate into Django

At this stage, this code is neither complete nor is it well tested. It is
just a proof-of-concept that works for basic cases (I've tried it with
facebook and twitter).

Help needed:

   - Feedback on whether this seems useful. Note: this is not targeted
   towards OAuth ninjas, and is not appropriate for complex OAuth
   implementations. Just a quick way to access basic OAuth based APIs like
   facebook, twitter, yammer, delicious.
   - If it seems useful, then help needed in completing it - with finishing
   the functionality, packaging, testing etc.

Let me know what you think. Thanks.