[BangPypers] Web Application Development

Senthil Kumaran senthil at uthcode.com
Thu May 5 14:30:57 CEST 2011

On Thu, May 05, 2011 at 05:10:39PM +0530, Kenneth Gonsalves wrote:
> no doubt dead men do not tell lies - but the fact is that Apache has
> long ago dropped support for it. And no one in their right mind would
> use it.

Looks like I fall into that category. :)

I was using mod_python effectively in my previous job. It is simple
and easy to work with.  I knew about mod_wsgi and had plans for
migration as soon as I took over the project, but given the simplicity
of mod_python and since it met our purpose effectively, I just used
without any qualms.

Well, just hop over to Stackoverflow and search for mod_python, you
will find questions coming up every now and then.

I appreciate Balachandran's answers wherein he said that we can know
it is dead only when someone raises a critical bug and project does
not respond. Apache's also page says that mod_python is available from the
modpython.org website.

I was thinking that Graham Dumpleton (author of mod_wsgi) who calls
that mod_python is dead was the author of mod_python too (in that
case, argument would bear weight), but it looks he is not the author
of mod_python and it is for you to decide.

So, the conclusion one can draw is, some people might call you names if
you use mod_python and you can choose to ignore it, that's it. :)
If you find a good reason to move other framework, it would be definitely good,
and you will know your reasons well.

To the original poster (OOMMEN KM), choose whichever you like (random
choice of frameworks which Noufal mentioned in his response is fine,
mod_python is okay) and get started. After you get started, you will
be able to decide either to stick or quickly make jump and it won't be
difficult.

Hope this helps.

--
Senthil

Smoking is, as far as I'm concerned, the entire point of being an adult.
               -- Fran Lebowitz