[BangPypers] The myth of free software

Sidu Ponnappa lorddaemon at gmail.com
Mon May 16 19:42:30 CEST 2011

You missed
4) Found a company to sell services and support around your open source
product. (MySQL, RedHat, Pentaho)
5) Found a company whose commercial offerings (services/products) you
popularise by bouncing off the popularity of your open source (37 Signals,
Thoughtbot)

Does a business model exist around open source? Yes it does (note that
earning an exceptional salary *is* a business model in my book). Is it
viable? Yes it is.

What's the problem?