[BangPypers] The myth of free software

Sirtaj Singh Kang sirtaj at sirtaj.net
Tue May 17 14:43:51 CEST 2011

On 17-May-11, at 5:35 PM, Santosh Rajan wrote:
[snip]
> First of all, let us get one thing out of the way. Success in
> software/hardware,  no matter where you are, entirely depends on on
> how
> passionate you are about it. We can't quantify a person's passion
> for some
> thing. Apple's success, is Steve Job's passion for whatever he was
> creating.

Fair enough.

> Having got that out of the way, let us try to answer some of your
> questions.

They weren't really questions. You've outlined a correlation and now I
am asking you to provide the causation.

> Right! The environment counts a lot. Not the person. If you are
> based in
> India, you are already starting to bat with 3 wickets down viz a viz
> San
> Francisco, (If I can humbly give a cricket anology).

This is true no matter what sort of technology business you start.
What is different about business models that are FOSS-driven?

> Wrong and Right!. People outside the valley are definitely capable of
> creating/running business, but they have a great disadvantage. Their
> competitors based in the valley, have a competitive edge/eco
> system,that the
> poor great guys outside the valley can't match.

I agree. So what is the solution, other than moving to the Valley?

> Forget about your three possible hypothesis . I hope I have answered
> your
> questions above!

I think you've misunderstood. I'm still not clear on the following:

1. We've established that tech startups are at a disadvantage when
based outside SV. Why is this so? Specifically, what is different
about FOSS-model startups?

2. Given that we are not all moving to California, what are our
options? I assume you are recommending against a FOSS-model startup.
What sort of business models do you recommend instead? Why?

3. At least one person on this thread has pointed out that his Indian
company is making a profit while working on FOSS. I know of a few
others. Do you not recommend that others attempt to follow their
example? Why?

-Taj.