[BangPypers] [OT?] Re: Industrial Control Systems in Python

Vishal vsapre80 at gmail.com
Thu Apr 5 17:54:12 CEST 2012

> On Wed, Mar 28, 2012 at 12:20 PM, Vishal <vsapre80 at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > c) They cannot guarantee that this hardware is suitable for industry
> > use...so as to avoid potential law suits from customers for whom the
> board
> > fails (This is OK, since we incur that responsibility with open source
> all
> > the time...and this is an open hardware platform)
>
> I am sorry to have yanked out a line from your email that is somewhat
> orthogonal to the discussion (and possibly not related to Python at
> all), but the point you raise in (c) is interesting. What exactly do
> you mean when you say "... since we incur that responsibility with
> open source all the time" ? Could you provide some more context ?
>
> --
> sankarshan mukhopadhyay
> <http://sankarshan.randomink.org/blog>
>
> Hi,

I hope my replies will not offend anybody, however, what I meant in that
line was, if I use code from a BSD or MIT (and also GPL, but I am not sure
about it) style licensed open source project, and something goes wrong
because of that code base, I cannot sue the makers of that software. There
is no implied responsibility that they carry, when I use their code base.
That is not the case with commercial software, unless, the commercial
license specifically clauses it out...and the customer agrees to it.

If I am wrong on this line of thought.... i would love to be corrected.

take care,
Vishal

--
Thanks and best regards,
Vishal Sapre

---
"Life is 10% how you make it, and 90% how you take it"
"बहुजन हिताय, बहुजन सुखाय (Benefit for most people, Happiness for most
people.)"
---
Please DONT print this email, unless you really need to.
Save Energy & Paper. Save the Earth.