[BangPypers] Call for Python programmers interested in building social applications

Gora Mohanty gora at mimirtech.com
Wed Aug 1 20:21:10 CEST 2012

On 1 August 2012 23:27, Anand Chitipothu <anandology at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 1, 2012 at 10:08 PM, Gora Mohanty <gora at mimirtech.com> wrote:
>> On 1 August 2012 20:18, Deepak Garg <deepakgarg.iitg at gmail.com> wrote:
>>> Diaspora is  AGPL (version 3), some parts dual-licensed under MIT License
>>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diaspora_(software)
>>
>> Erm, you are the second person to suggest that, but Diaspora
>> is RoR. A better bet might be Pinax ( http://pinaxproject.com/ )
>> if one wants to stick to Python.
>
> -1
>
> I don't think we should be so religious about using Python. After all
> programming languages are tools to get job done.

Er, I am not. But, there could well be a good reason for someone
to want to do that in Python. Since they are asking on a Python
group, a reasonable assumption is that they have done their
homework and want a Python solution.

> Remember that Diaspora was developed by a bunch of very smart chaps
> over couple of years and it was able to raise $200K of funds on
> kickstarter. It would take equal amount of efforts (or even more) and
> resources to start building something from scratch again.
>
> Rejecting an already available opensource project, even before
> considering its merits, just because it is not written in your
> favorite programming language is not a good idea.

Have not looked at Diaspora, and it could well be quite good. RoR
is also perfectly fine for a RAD framework. I am not sure how it
came across that I was rejecting Diaspora out of hand?

Regards,
Gora