[BangPypers] [OT] Online offering of the course "Introduction to Programming Languages"

Sateesh Kumar sateeshpyper at gmail.com
Wed Aug 22 09:37:47 CEST 2012

Hi,

Slightly OT, Brown university is offering their course  "Introduction
to Programming Languages" [1] available
for free on the Web.

Interestingly second and third months of the course would cover Python
in detail.
>From the course outline: [2]

"In the first month of the course, we will go through the semantics
engineering process in the
 small: you will be given an illustrative little language built by us,
whose meaning you must completely decipher.
(We use the phrase “decipher” intentionally: most real-world languages
are under- or poorly specified,
so almost all of them at least slightly resemble hieroglyphics.) In
the remaining two months, you will repeat
this exercise in the large: namely, for Python. By the end of the
semester, then, a completely successful student will
have an authoritative knowledge of Python and will have created a
full, independent implementation of it.
Naturally, we don't expect very many students to be completely successful."

reg,
sateesh

1. http://www.cs.brown.edu/courses/cs173/2012/OnLine/
2. http://www.cs.brown.edu/courses/cs173/2012/