[BangPypers] missing dependency while installing virtualenvwrapper on ubuntu-12.04

Noufal Ibrahim noufal at nibrahim.net.in
Fri Jul 20 11:46:52 CEST 2012

vid <vid at svaksha.com> writes:

> On Fri, Jul 20, 2012 at 2:48 PM, Noufal Ibrahim <noufal at nibrahim.net.in> wrote:
>>
>> Looks like the package metadata is getting messed up because of a non Ubuntu pip
>> (/usr/local/bin) and an Ubuntu Python.
>
> Yup, back then (10.04 lts, which is what I stick to for dev stuff) I
> had installed virtualenvwrapper using pip, which is why the upgrade
> broke the old virtualenvwrapper -- lucid and precise use different
> python versions(?).

I don't use Ubuntu but you're probably correct. Any modifications you
make to the installed system package outside of apt need to be manually
fixed during an upgrade. This usually, as I hinted to earlier, becomes a
road block.

>> I'd recommend that you either `apt-get install virtualenvwrapper` and
>
> Never used the OS sandbox package. With pip the virtualenvwrapper is
> restricted to a single directory (say, Env) in /home. I'm guessing
> this wont change?

I don't understand your question but virtualenvwrapper installed from
apt and from PyPI will be the same except for the possibility that the
ubuntu packaged version will be slightly older than what you get from
PyPI.

--
Cordially,
Noufal