[BangPypers] converting python to assembly..

Anand Balachandran Pillai abpillai at gmail.com
Fri Jun 1 08:02:31 CEST 2012

On Thu, May 31, 2012 at 11:40 AM, Vishal <vsapre80 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Does anybody know of any effort that can covert a relatively static version
> of python code into assembly for use with microcontrollers ?

Just wondering what is the need for this ? If you are coding in Python
in the first place do you really want to go down all the way to assembly
code output ? In that case I think you should start off with C rather
than Python.

> CorePy did it but not for microcontrollers
> P14p (or PyMite) actually creates a python interpreter in C and puts it
> inside the microcontroller, and its GPL.
> PyPy as you know is not yet for microcontrollers and only creates assembly
> when the JIT kicks in.
> Cython/Pyrex would convert python with type specifications into extension
> module...but it will not fit into microcontrollers.
>
> I am looking for something more "simple", i.e. instead of writing C and
> compiling it to machine instructions...write python (restricted set..may
> be) and convert it to machine instructions.
>
> Any pointers will be of big help..

I see some projects like pyastra (circa 2006) and pyasm on Google but
nothing
which is maintained and has kept up.

> Thanks and best regards,
> Vishal Sapre