[BangPypers] Heterogeneous forms in django formset

Amit Sethi amit.pureenergy at gmail.com
Tue Mar 13 07:06:08 CET 2012

Hi all , I have a certain problem with django forms that seems to me
should definitely have a solution already written.

I have a couple of different forms that are submitted in the same view
something like  ...( Sorry just using pseudo code for now )..

    class Form1():
    	#different attributes

    Class Form2()
    	#different attributes

`<html>`

    <form >

     {{ 1-instance-Form1 }}

      {{ 2-instance-Form1 }}

    {{ 1-instance-Form2 }}
    {{ 2-instance-Form2 }}

    </form>

`</html>`

Apart from that I want to give the user the ability to add a form
instance of one of the form classes available through jquery so the
form might become
`<html>`

    <form >

         {{ 1-instance-Form1 }}

          {{ 2-instance-Form1 }}

        {{ 1-instance-Form2 }}
        {{ 2-instance-Form2 }}
        {{ 3-instance-Form2 }}

    </form>

`</html>`

Now while looking for a solution to handle such a problem I came
accross the concept of django formset which as the documentation
describes is a collection of instances of the same Form class. However
as I can see formsets can have the ability to handle heterogenous
forms as well:

With some definitions changed

    class BaseHeterogenousFormSet(StrAndUnicode):

        def append(form):
    	#add one more form to the formset

        def is_valid():
    	#run is_valid for each of the forms in the formset

        def clean():
            #run the clean for each of the forms ...

Is there something wrong with the way i am thinking about this problem
??   Is this a proper way a handle the problem that I am describing

--
A-M-I-T S|S