[BangPypers] Industrial Control Systems in Python

Noufal Ibrahim noufal at nibrahim.net.in
Mon Mar 26 07:52:33 CEST 2012

Vishal <vsapre80 at gmail.com> writes:

> Hello,
>
> There is a need in our company to prototype some control systems in Python.
> These would be general industrial control systems.
> After this prototype is made, I was wondering it there would be a way to
> use the same code to actually do the control. Has anybody worked on this
> kind of stuff here. Any suggestions?
>
> Usually such controllers are implemented using PLCs (Programmable Logic
> Controllers) and their proprietary programming languages (ST...which is
> Basic like, Block diagrams, Ladders etc). I want to replace all that with a
> PC running the control application coded in Python.
> Any pointers towards Single Board Computers that can be used? etc

Aren't these devices very low on memory and processing power? I'm not
really familiar with the area but my gut feel is that Python might be
overkill there?

That being said, I have managed to get Python running on an embedded
device but it had a microprocessor and a stripped down OS so it wasn't
too hard. Just a cross compilation and a little trimming of the standard
library and other such things. If your situation is similar, I might be
able to help out.

Another thing I can think of, and this is just an idea, is that you can
write your control application in perhaps a subset of Python, then
"compile" it into ST and then use it with the regular toolchain.

[...]

--
~noufal
http://nibrahim.net.in