[BangPypers] Best python source browsing tool for Mac + Emacs / Sublime

Sriram Karra karra.etc at gmail.com
Tue Dec 31 03:20:19 CET 2013

On Mon, Dec 30, 2013 at 10:27 PM, Noufal Ibrahim KV
<noufal at nibrahim.net.in>wrote:

> With Python, I don't really use tag jumping. With my own code base, if
> I'm tag jumping and moving around like that, I usually consider that an
> issue with the way my app is laid out. With other peoples code, I
> usually figure out where a message or some behaviour that I'm interested
> in is happening and stick a pdb.set_trace() over there. I then run it
> and use PDBTrack to trace things from there to understand what's
> happening. I guess this is partly because with Python, most things are
> at runtime and partly because it's easier to not reason about the
> program and just to see it run. I'm not big on 'intelligent' completion.
>
> With C, I do the tag jumping thing and use etags.

Interesting; should try a debugger-first approach next time I am looking at
a newly clone third party repo :)

But I am not sure I understand why you could not do the same thing with GDB
and breakpoints? Is there something python-specific I am not getting?